
Yesterday, we went to CHKD (the children's hospital) for Josie to see the allergist and do some testing. She was so darn sweet and so patient, she smiled right through all the pokes and prods and blood tests. Her eager-to-please demeanor made it all the more disheartening when we found out that she is allergic to milk, soy, whole egg, and PEANUTS. Ugh. Wham.
I am still trying to wrap my mind around it. An allergic reaction to peanuts can be life threatening, so now just the idea of leaving her in childwatch at the YMCA, with a babysitter, the church nursery, mother's time out, etc., etc. is petrifying for me. At least we now know AND have the epi pen by her side.
The stats are that 1 in 5 children grow out of the peanut thing, so there is still hope that all this could just go away. And if not, we adapt. All of us. How could the rest of us enjoy a tasty chik.fil.a treat (I hear that they now use peanut oil) while Josie sits back and cheers us on? Well, I guess she could have one of their fabulous milkshakes...no wait, duh, there's milk in that milkshake. Ugh!
It could be worse. She's not allergic to wheat. I can't imagine a life without carbs...and to think people do it voluntarily! I just don't have the willpower. Jos and I were at Panera just today gnawing on some sourdough (don't worry, they tell me baked eggs are okay)!
To close, one small resolution: I will NOT image google "peanut allergy" ever again, I swear it.