12 March 2008


par avion, avec les enfants

The family went to Boulder CO last week, except for Simon who got to hang out with Mutti and PapPap in PA. We flew quite a bit with simon as an infant, but this was our first trip in the sky with josie.
It's always so funny boarding an airplane with a child in your arms, often many of the passenger's expressions communicate this quirky mix of "ooh-look-at-the-baby" and "dear-Lord-please-don't-sit-anywhere-near-me!!!" This time around I actually heard a businessman sigh with relief as we continued on past his aisle to board. I totally understand why people respond this way, after all, who wants to fly the friendly skies with a screaming infant making their head pound to the point of explosion?
The good news is that she didn't make a peep of a cry, despite security checks, layovers, circling Denver for an hour being rerouted to Salt Lake City to refuel (salt lake is unbelievably gorgeous by the way, who knew??!), time changes, etc., etc. Upon further reflection, I think this should definitely be included in one of the ways to define the word grace...at least for me, because I have in fact experienced the alternative firsthand, and it is NOT very pleasant, trust me!