20 February 2008



It's not just the choices, actions, and behavior parents are charged to navigate with their kids, it's the very essence of their heart. Talk about tough work. The "essence" of my heart is so entirely selfish, how can I possibly cultivate compassion in theirs?!

I can make Simon forgive Josie 100 times after she steals his toy, but if the attitude of his heart hasn't changed, what good has ultimately been accomplished? Further (oh great, here is comes) how does this translate into my own life?! My attitude towards everything from the laundry to people who take my toys isn't so hot these days either.

Yes, the author Dan Allender was right: children raise their parents too. Sometimes it's pretty painful. The kids are remarkable little agents for exposing my own shortcomings.

It's blog, not a confessional booth, I know. Waxing a bit too philosophical today, I now turn to some more lucid ponderings, as sung by the late great Jerry Garcia:

"Well the first days are the hardest days
don't you worry any more.
'Cause when life looks like easy street
there is danger at your door.
Think this through with me;
let me know your mind
Whoa-oh, what I want to know
is are you kind?"
-Grateful Dead, Uncle John's Band